Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Week 2 as a PCV begins

Monday August 30, 2010

Today, I received a call at 8:50 am informing me that the 9am meeting has been rescheduled for tomorrow. This means I have nothing to do all day.
I spent the first part of the day reading the past BaƱos volunteer’s final report and playing guitar. Then I had spinach and potato soup with Isabel, Pablo and Rosa. After lunch, I felt the need to get out and about. I packed water, my rain coat, my camera and just started walking up the road headed west. I did not have any destination in mind; I like these kinds of walks.
I came to a fork in the road where my “uncle” has a little tienda (shop). When I go with Isabel to gather food for the cuys and get chased by roosters we go to the left past the cemetery. So I figured why not go to the right?
I encountered many dogs just hanging about. The majority of them ignored me, some came up for a sniff and the rest kept their distance and barked.
After about an hour of walking, I came across a man, a wheelbarrow and a dog. He was gardening in a little patch just off to the side of the road. He looked up and was very surprised to see me. I got the feeling white people do not frequent this dirt road often.
We exchanged hellos and he asked me where it was I was walking to. I told him with a smile and a shrug, “I don’t know, just exploring.” He smiled back, waved me on and said enjoy.
The dog never even lifted his head from under the cool shade of the wheelbarrow. Apparently he sees gringos all the time.
When my shadow became long and my legs weary, I decided to head back home. Arrived home some time later, relaxed for a bit before dinner. Rice and chicken! Love it! I am really happy I enjoy rice, or meal time would not be as enjoyable.
After dinner I put on a nice shirt and headed to mass with Pablo and Isabel. I had to make up for skipping out on Sunday I guess. Plus, the church looks really pretty at night.









Credit cards

I have yet to see someone use one, or even a device to swipe them at a store. People here only buy what they can pay for at the time. The only other real option is to get a loan, which from what I understand is not the easiest of things to do.
Looking back I realized I used my credit card for just about everything. But if you were to ask me why I had it I would probably say something like “oh it is for emergencies.”
Building credit is a good thing. But the power we yield in those desirable pieces of plastic also allow us to purchase stuff we do not really need and put us into debt.
I know this sounds a bit preachy, I just want to you, the reader, to try something.
I want you to go a week (or two) without using your credit card. Go to the grocery store with a set amount of cash. Things like that.

Do your purchasing habits change?

Since I have stopped using a credit card, mine have.

6 comments:

  1. Tristan....it might help to have a companion on your walking trips....at least until the neighbors get to know you. Your Spanish must be pretty good if you could handle the conversation with the old fella in his garden. He probably rarely hears English spoken. Thanks also for the pictures....they give us a better idea of the local geography. Otherwise, all is well here except that it is up in the 90's again for a few days....we'll be glad to see the first snow flakes I think. Love and prayers.....Nanny and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i enjoy reading your blog soooo much!!! its the best... the credit card problem is like that in the small towns I think.. you can use your cards anywhere in Quito or in the big cities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. huh, havent really noticed any in Cuenca. Although, I haven't had a need to look out for them... until now. Will do more research on it soon.

    Glad you enjoy it!

    Grandpa and Nanny, everyone is really friendly here and there is zero crime in my town. So I am very safe here.
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tristan, we love your blog. And although we never have debt, i confess to having bought many things i didnt need (or want). They are all in landfills now and if i had all that money back, i would be able to retire now and your inheritance would be looking better. Sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh dont regret it.

    Besides, it was you who told me not to expect any inheritance. You're gonna spend it all on an apartment and wine in France.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tristan,
    It is nice to have a down day. I really appreciated your pictures as they gave me a better understanding of the neighborhood and country side.
    Cheers,
    Richard
    PS: I use a credit card because I don't want to deal with a pocket full of base metal. It also provides a a good record of my financial transgressions.

    ReplyDelete