Friday, September 10, 2010

Punk Rock, Pizza and Rain.

The 6th, a Monday (let me redo this one with a little more information)

Today I had my long awaited meeting with Estella from the Junta Parochial. We discussed the plan for the marketing class and decided that next week it will begin. 11 classes in 11 weeks and each class will be about 2 hours. We decided that tomorrow we would go to all the local businesses to see if there was an interest.
I also mentioned the Scout troop I met had some interest in doing some projects here in Baños. She was very excited and asked if they would come clean all the trash in the streets once a week. I explained that they probably would not have an interest in that. Instead, that they would prefer projects that can be done in a few hours and require only one trip. For instance, repainting the lines on the basketball/futbol court (which is cement). She liked this idea and asked me to find out how much the project would cost and then she would present it to the board for approval.
Cool, left the meeting feeling pretty good. Spent the rest of the day reading and writing the previous blog. Also Skype chatted with the family. They told me of all the wondrous steaks, pizzas and beer they have had recently. Thanks guys.

A rainy Tuesday in Baños

Woke up to loud rain hitting a metal roof.
I arrived at the Junta at 9am (well, more like 9:15ish) for the meeting. Turns out there was some other event going on and I have no idea what it was. It was just a big line of people. I inquired what the line was for and received an answer that I did not understand. So I nodded and asked if tomorrow might be better. I was told tomorrow afternoon would work perfect.
More rain.
Lunch was a repeat of yesterday’s veggie soup. I decided to be semi creative and threw some parmesan cheese in it that was leftover from Friday. I also added hot sauce, but that is pretty much a given.
Just hung around and played guitar until 2pm when my next meeting was. This one was with a group of teachers and local movers and shakers that the previous volunteer helped organize. I got to the meeting spot and found no one. So I walked to the Iban’s store to see what happened.
Iban owns the local photo, fax and any other miscellaneous electronic item shop. He is also the tech guy for the Junta.
He told me that the meeting had been moved to next week because school started this week and things are hectic. Or, at least that is what it sounded like. He then asked me if I had some time to help him with a problem. I tried not to look too excited, I needed to do something!
At first it seemed like he wanted me to smuggle in a DVD copier machine from the US. Then after some more questions on my part I figured out he only wanted help ordering it from the US. He showed me the website and it was some place in Manhattan. He wanted to know if they ship to Ecuador, how much and all the other normal things.
The device itself cost around $230, but shipping cost $140. Seemed like an expensive purchase. I then had to talk with UPS to see where in Ecuador they could be delivered to but got no answer.
So then he asked if I could come back tomorrow to help order them. Sure!
It is fun waking up, having a schedule and knowing that it is all going to change.

Wednesday

I spent the first part of today walking around the town trying to generate some interest in my marketing class with Estella, from the Junta. We got a lot of interest, which was a relief to me. While walking I asked her about another project.
I want to create a proposal for the Junta to purchase metal trashcans to place throughout Baños. Hopefully this project would cut down on the amount of trash in the streets, and there for get rid of some of the street dogs that rely on this trash for food. Along with the trashcans I want to have signs made that say something like “Help keep Baños clean” to put on the trashcans.
Estella also asked me to draw up another proposal to buy some trees to plant in by the soccer field. I really liked the idea. As of now there is no shade anywhere. There are just these little shrubs that get planted every year. What is the opposite of a perennial, anyone?
After dinner, Pablo, the older brother asked me I could show him some stuff on guitar. I brought my guitar downstairs and he did the same. We spent a good hour just talking and playing music. He started to teach me a few songs in Spanish and I showed him some in English.
Afterwards I went with Isabel to the town center (next to the church) for some fireworks. Baños is in festival right now, which means there is something going every day. The fireworks were pretty cool, similar idea to the ones in Cayambe, except there was no Vaca Loca.

Thursday

Today I went into town to buy a few things I needed and some others that I wanted. I got 4 DVDs for $5 (wanted). Then I walked around trying to find a store that sold large trashcans to get prices for my proposal. My efforts were fruitless. Oh well.
So then I ambled on over to the super market to buy ingredients for pizza making tomorrow! The rest of the day I played guitar and caught up on world news.
There was also a rock concert going on that I had to listen to until about 2am, from my room. It was pretty terrible punk rock. I am just glad my current residence is not any closer to the square. Wow, I sound really old writing that. Kids and their loud music! Yarg, insert more old man rambling here.
Friday
Woke up early, I needed to start getting my PowerPoint ready for my first class as a teacher next week. I had to translate the slides I made into Spanish and start writing a basic script. That took awhile, but the subject is fun for me. Marketing is a fun topic I think, much more so than any engineering class I would dare say.
I could not wait to make pizza. I kept bugging Isabel asking her when she would be ready to start. She likes to see how I cook and writes down the recipes.

Finally around 5ish we started making the dough.

Ingredients
• 1 ½ cup slightly warm (85-90 degrees) water (don’t kill the yeast)
• 1 tsp yeast
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 6 tablespoon olive oil
• 4 ½ cups flour (1/2 whole wheat if you like)
Directions
Place water and yeast in a large bowl and stir until dissolved. Add the salt and 6 tablespoon olive oil and mix well to combine. Add 1 cup of the flour and mix with a wooden spoon until it becomes a loose batter. Add more cups of the flour and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, incorporating as much flour as you can with the wooden spoon.
Bring the dough together by hand and turn out onto a hard clean surface. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes, until dough is smooth and firm. Place in a clean, lightly-oiled bowl, using remaining tablespoon of oil and cover with a towel. Let rise in the warmest part of the kitchen for 45 minutes (if you can stand waiting that long).

You can put in refrigerator and use within a few days or even freeze.

For individual pizzas or calzones, cut the dough into 4 equal pieces and knead into rounds. For one large pizza, knead into 1 large round. For either, let rest for 15 minutes.
Top with anything you like or just olive oil and salt.
Bake in a hot oven (400-450 degrees F (about 200C)) for about 10 minutes depending on how much stuff you put on top!

Recipe provided by Pt Schreck the famous painter (lesser known as my mother)

We topped our pizza with parmesan, mozzarella, Portobello mushrooms (love’em), pepperoni, broccoli and onions. The two pizzas we made came out great! We even have leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

PS Dear parental units, this is a reminder to tape the Eagle’s game Sunday. Thanks!

Sorry no pictures of the pizza. I guess I accidently deleted them while transfering them. Ugh, next time!

4 comments:

  1. Ha! This is great. I am glad the pizza came out good. Why dont you start cooking classes in town? :) And we will not forget the eagles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh.... engineering classes.... getting hit in the head with a hammer is better....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I just put together a long note and must have deleted it. Have to try again tomorrow....sorry about that....ACE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tristan....Sorry I lost everything the other day.......Dave has been putting together some stuff for NASA that will ride the drone Global Hawk thru hurricanes...so far seems to be working well..........Diane Loucks has seen some of your stuff and she is very happy that you are doing well...she is working in Mexico and I just got a note from her that said she was leaving her spanish class to go to work...her spanish isn't all that hot, and she is trying to teach english to some of the padrones......John and Ling are in Bejing...this is their 3rd big vacation in less than a year...good for Intel I guess....son Richard went to Good News Bay in Alaska for his company and then visited Denali...first time he has been up there, and it was a remote location...Kim and Samantha are both in college now and doing well...Sam is up on the main campus in State College......one of our World Affairs Council members was in Armenia in the Peace Corps and will pressent on November 11th...he said everyone there hated Americans because they were all communists....maybe they have had a change of heart....other than that, not too much new...now if I don't lose it all...Grandpa

    ReplyDelete