Monday, October 11, 2010

Life

October 1st, not my average Friday night
The previous night at my house, while I was stuck inside my house because of the coup, there was an hour long religious ceremony in our living room. There was lots of candles, insense and a 2 foot tall statue of Jesus in a glass box. I asked what it was for, but I did not understand the answer and so it remains a mystery to me.
Tonight, I was called down from my room by Isabel for another ceremony. Had I known there was going to be another ceremony I would not have drank those three beers… This time when I got to the living room there was no one there. Needless to say I was confused, then Isabel handed me a chair and told me to go next door.
There is a passage way between our house and the restaurant Isabel is building next door. I never knew it was there until today, amazing. So I carry the chair into the unfinished cement building expecting to find the same 10 people from last night. Nope, there were about 40 people and several women had beautiful rose bouquets resting at their feet. I promptly set the chair down and continued to make myself useful by passing out bread to everyone while they awaited their coffee.
The same religious leader (not sure of his title) from the night before read a few passages and then everyone grabbed a candle and went outside. Four people, Isabel being one of them, picked up the statue that now was sitting on top of a wooden pallet with four horizontal poles coming out of it to rest on the carriers’ shoulders. It looked rather heavy.
With my candle in hand we began walking the wrong way up a one way road up the hill towards the Church (the blue one from my pictures). We were followed by a beat up pickup truck with the religious leader singing over a homemade loud speaker system attached to the truck.
We were no more than 30 yards from the church when Isabel asked me to take over for her. Of course I would, besides we are so close. The procession proceeded down the road past the church to where the paved road and street lights end. Oh crap.
There is no moon on this night so it is exceptionally dark however, the stars are plenty! I asked the man who was on the other side of the wooden contraption where we were going. He mentioned some town I have never heard of. I then asked how far. He said with a smile 4-5 kilometers. Oh man, my shoulders are going to hurt tomorrow.
While we were marching up the road, there were many bottle rockets being fired into the sky from field all around us. I finally spotted the person responsible. It was this little old man who would sneak off from the group every once and while and set a few off.
After what seemed forever we finally made it to a small chapel in the middle of nowhere. We sat through a long ceremony and I was thoroughly lost as to what this was all about, but I enjoyed the experience.


This is for my uncle Steve. Do you know what they use to make horseshoes here? Rebar. Thought you might get a kick out of that.

Brewing operations have been delayed yet again. Someday, I hope.

The owner of the tienda I always buy my snacks and beer from has a bi-polar owner. Some days he is really excited to see me and we chat for awhile. Other days he is a little cold and gives me weird looks when I try to strike up a conversation.
Today when I walked to the tienda I saw him showing off one of his fighting cocks to some people and then out walked his look alike brother. Fuck me, that explained a lot. I guess I have become that weird volunteer that talks to everyone. I then walk up to greet them both and to figure out which one actually likes talking to me. He was the one with the rooster.
Luckily this rooster is not as aggressive as El Capitan. I was able to pet it and feel how sharp his spurs are. Jaime invited me to come with him some Sunday to check out the fights. An offer I will definitely take him up on.
As we were talking a pick up rolled up on the sidewalk behind me, but I paid it no attention. A lot of people park their cars on the side walk on this street. However I spun around when I heard an ogre behind me! In the bed of this small pickup truck not more than two feet behind me were three enormous pigs. They we not happy about being tied up in the bed of the truck and were making their current emotions known.
I then thought of how I could make a three little pigs joke but thankfully my mouth did not listen. I doubt they know that children’s tale and if I said it I would have had to explain it. Effort. Sometimes I do not put that word into my daily activities, and today was one of those days. So instead I bought beer and had a lovely happy hour playing tunes on my guitar. Ah, Peace Corps.

2 comments:

  1. When I worked with Habitat in Louisiana, the family whose house we were rebuilding trained cocks for fighting. He kept this mean cock in a triangular cage and would have it practice on weaker cocks by killing them in a larger rectangular cage. He invited us all to go to the bar when he was finally ready to fight for money. I was really excited to see it, knowing it could very well be illegal in a few years.

    Our supervisor would not let us go. Even after telling us early on it would be ok. It was heartbreaking!

    And now, cockfighting is illegal in all 50 states. It should be a very interesting experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha there were 2 different people!

    ReplyDelete