Thursday, June 2, 2011

Insert Title, Not Foriegn Object

In which the author expresses his frustration with the barrier of language, being a gringo and feeling the need to scream, curse and throw heavy things at breakable things


The following is a translated conversation that is had weekly with the lady who owns the tienda next to my house.

“hi, I would like to return these (beer) bottles and buy two more beers.”
“What?¨
“I would like to buy two beers, please”
“I don’t know what that is.”

Through gritted teeth and a feigned smile “beer (I point to empty bottles I am returning). Cold beer, those bottles in the fridge?”

Long pause “Ohhhh, Beer. Haha, yeah how many.”

Folks, if there is one word I know how to pronounce in Spanish it is beer. I have never had any other problems buying stuff from this lady, the only problems occur when I try to buy beer. I swear she does it just to mess with me. Imagine if an employee did that to a certain client every Monday morning at Starbucks.

Caffeine Fiend Beats Sarcastic Employee With Espresso Machine

Not saying I would beat a tienda lady for messing with me and my happy hour. [Legal department insisted that I add that sentence] But seriously, when its 5’o’clock on a Friday and I bring empty bottles, they just need to be replaced. Go ahead and mess with me when I am trying to by yogurt or a banana, but don’t fuck with my beer. Comprende?

The aforementioned story inspired my latest creation, Coffee Porter. A nice dark beer mixed with a very strong batch of organic Ecuadorian coffee. Yeah, it’s good.






I recently purchased the Lord of The Rings trilogy on DVD for $4.50 [legally]. There is nothing like getting through the first 2 disks and then looking forward all day to completing the set with a nice home brewed beer after work only to find that the third disk is just another copy of the second one. There is no curse in Elvish, Entish or Spanish to express this feeling.
But I digress, life is good.

Remember those cute white chickens I had? Well we did BYODC (bring your own dead chicken) at the local rotisserie chicken place and then had a nice take out dinner. Kind of like Boston Market, right?


2 comments:

  1. Tristan,
    WOW - That coffee porter and rotisserie chicken look great. I trust you had a wonderful meal :-)
    Cheers,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tristan....happy to get your current reports, however Nanny does read them so you might consider altering the words that express your frustration....like maybe use "goodness gracious" or "my heavens".....LOL...Not a lot going on here. Getting ready to head off to Maine where we can eat lobster instead of a friendly chicken. I am taking good care of the Panama hat that you were instrumental in obtaining for me...it really is a classy number. And, be sure to tell the Padre that nanny wears her Banos T shirt on every possible occasion. About the only hot news is that both Emily and Christyn now have apartments in California...ALex and Cindy are also there....so, the family seems to be moving west. Emily's future Mother in law took her and Greg to Bermuda for vacation...not a bad deal.

    The African Education Program Fund Raiser went off well. A little rain at the end, but everyone went home happy. No clue how much money they made, but i had to be significant. One or twwo people used the opportunity to present a sermon, but otherwise it moved right along. You would have enjoyed it.

    Your Mom and Dad have filled us in on your activities...sounds like you are really getting to know the countryside. On the other hand Mexico is shipping some of its more illustrious citizens into South American...unfortunately. Otherwise, we do keep you in our dally prayers, and the next time you go to buy beer the neighbor lady will ask "how many"?

    Love and prayers........Nanny and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete