Friday, November 11, 2011

Street dog (Tw)eats Angry Bird

I had envisioned my morning going much differently than it did. The plan was simple enough. Go to town, buy chickens and put them in the shed. Today, I learned that god or whatever higher power that rules over us mortals has a sense of humor.

But Tristan, do you not already own 5 chickens a voice in my head announced? Well strange voice in my head, I owned 3 chickens which I (you) ate, and now I am (we are) left with 2 hens who are cranking out lots of eggs. I figured it would be fun to buy three more poultry to gift to my host family and eat with my friends who are coming to visit in December.

The bus ride in was as uneventful as selecting the three chickens which were two females, one male and each were roughly the size of 6 piece McNugget boxes. Huey, Dewy, Louie (as I named them) and I then boarded the bus back to Baños. They were wedged humanely in a box which did not have air holes I until I poked them. The Ménage à trois box of chickens were quiet noisy on the bus and earned some warranted strange looks. This was not normal gringo behavior.

Weather Interjection: It had rained the past few days and now the sun was shining but the streets were still mud covered and tough to navigate on foot without incident. Can you see where this is going?

We departed the bus and began the short walk to my host family’s house. Not paying attention, which I am usually not, my foot found a great patch of slickness and I fell with a gracefulness that cannot be taught. Now mostly covered in mud I noticed one of the chickens staring at me, in front of me, not in the box. Of course the box had to break. I let out a pathetic sigh. Fuck.

I grabbed the little guy and quickly located another one scuttling to a nearby trash pile. With a chicken in each hand I spun around to see a scene no chicken owner wants to see. The chicken stood 10 feet away in a staring competition with none other than Old James. Old James, it had to be him.

He is the best of the worst street dogs in my barrio. Self appointed alpha dog of Baños this bastard fears nothing. I have seen him attack cars going full speed with the intention of winning. While he can usually be found drooling on some stoop, he occasionally ventures out to prove himself. Today was one of those occasions.
Before I could think of any solution other than throwing the chickens in my hands at him, the chase was on.


This next part is best told by fictitious outside observers.

Martha and Rosa, both indigenous women, explain the madness that they just saw.

Well, we were just sitting there on the porch shucking corn, probably discussing the weather or latest town gossip I don’t remember, when a baby chicken goes running by. Now there is nothing terribly unusual about that or the dog chasing it. But what came to pass next neither of us could have ever imagined. That weird gringo, you know the one who had that big ugly beard for awhile? Yeah him. Well he just came out of nowhere completely soaked in mud with a chicken in each hand yelling something in English. I think he was drunk or on the drugs or something. He was chasing that dog, which was chasing the chicken like a mad man. I swear I have never seen anything like it. Martha proclaims.

This is where Rosa would probably chime in with “some village in America is missing its idiot.”
And a good laugh would be had by all.

After jumping two fences I turn the corner of an old house only to see Old James sitting with a shit-eating grin standing over a pile of feathers. I could not help but laugh. I was mad at him but I released I was going to eat the chicken someday so why not laugh?
The surviving two needed new names. I would like to present to the world Mister and Misses Brunch.




I promise someday I will write a blog that has nothing to do with rugby or chickens.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Tristan.....Nanny says you are right. God does have a sense of humor....she can see him/her up there having a good chuckle over this story. As for Old James.....I'd like to see his picture on a big jar of Knob Creek bourbon...with the chicken in his mouth of course.

    If, and when, you leave Banos, I think the natives are going to dissolve in a blue funk....you are better entertainment than a movie...the Three Stooges maybe? The locals will probably immortalize you in Song and Story .......like Daniel Boone or even Kit Carson......

    Don't forget to keep us posted on the opening of the new home for women.....
    Nanny is working on more icons, and we would like to keep current with the work there. Cath thought that you all have done a wonderful job there, and you will be part of their lives forever. You have give a lot of yourself to the community, and they will remember you for a long time.......your parents also deserve lots of love for all they do for you, Cath and many others.......thanks for being a very wonderful part of a big and loving family.......congrats to Old James....love and prayers.....Nanny and Grandpa

    blue funk

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha oh well, 2 chickens in the hand is worth... more than one in a wild dog's mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a riot Tristan! I wonder if in your wildest dreams you pictured yourself raising chickens in the first place. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tristan'
    Great story! You need to get yourself one of those head mounted video cameras for times like these. I guess you were lucky that alpha dog did not decide to eat you and the other two chicks.
    Cheers,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me a little story?

    A little bird was flying south for the winter. It was so cold; the bird froze up and fell to the ground in a large field. While it was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some dung on it. As the frozen bird lay there in the pile of cow dung, it began to realize how warm it was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy.

    A passing cat heard the bird singing and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the bird under the pile of cow dung, and promptly dug him out and ate him!

    The morals of this story are:

    Not everyone who drops shit on you is your enemy.
    Not everyone who gets you out of shit is your friend.
    And when you're in deep shit, keep your mouth shut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great article in the local paper. That's how I found your blog. Nice that I can keep track of you (again). One of our friends, a Radnor grad, is with the Peace Corps in Panama. Keep up the good work! Mr. Shoe

    ReplyDelete